Snow in Atlanta? Well it doesn’t happen often but when it does it can be a real inconvenience. Following the surprise snow storm just a few weeks ago we saw several injuries from slipping on ice, car accidents as well as injuries from people trying to shovel. We wanted to provide a few ideas to keep your family safe when it snows.
What is Black Ice?
Black ice is a thin coating of ice on the surface of roads and walkways. It will be shinny and glimmer back at you at night. Locations where water runs off and melts during the day but later freezes back at night are particularly dangerous and more likely to harbor black ice. It can be very deceiving and often you don’t see it till your foot is on top of it or your car starts to slide. With the car the trick is to let go of the foot accelerator and do not brake. Instead, gently steer in the direction you want to go. Braking is the natural response but this may cause the car to rotate and slide. It is always recommended to just avoiding driving if possible until conditions improve.
How to Shovel Snow?
While you are stuck at home you may decide it is time to clear a path out of your house. Here are a few tips to protect yourself next time snow hits your driveway.
- Wear Proper Clothing. Don’t go out and brave the elements without good boots, gloves, a hat and a warm jacket.
- Consider your Health. If you have back problems or heart conditions to name a few, shoveling snow may just be too dangerous. Call a friend or neighbor to help.
- Warm up. If you were about to go out for a run, you would do some stretching. Arms, back and leg muscles will get worked when you shovel.
- Purchase Equipment. When there is a threat of snow many people run to the food store to get last minute supplies. Don’t forget to have a proper snow shovel and abag of salt to spread. These supplies can be found at any local hardware store.
- Proper positioning. Stand with your feet shoulder width apart and bend with your legs. Meanwhile, keep your back straight. Don’t try and scoop more than you can handle. Deposit the snow in a location that is close to where you are shoveling and stay in a forward motion. Throwing it over your shoulder could result in injury.
- Take breaks and hydrate. Set reasonable expectations for the time it will take to clear the snow safely.
What to do if you get injured?
We hope you do not get injured but if you do then you can come into BestCare Now Urgent Care 7 days a week. We have licensed physicians on staff that can treat you and your family. We are located at 500 Nathan Dean Blvd, Dallas GA 30057.
Stay safe Atlanta!