What is Urgent Care?
Less severe incidents like a scrapped elbow can be addressed with a Band-Aid. However, if you find you or your child with a more severe condition you will have a choice to make – emergency department or urgent care. So let’s compare.
Emergency room visits are for conditions that are life or limb threatening. These conditions include:
- chest pain
- facial drooping
- severe head and eye injuries
- sudden numbness or weakness in arm or leg
- uncontrolled bleeding and severe deep cuts
- vaginal bleeding with pregnancy
- coughing or vomiting blood
- sudden shortness of breath or extreme difficulty breathing
- rash with fever
- major fracture that breaks the skin or needs to be reset
So now that you have ruled that out lets focus on urgent care. Urgent care is for conditions that require immediate care but is not life threatening. For a full listing of services please see our illnesses treated page. Some of these conditions include:
- common sprain
- cold and flu
- sore throat
- abrasion and cut requiring stitches
- urinary tract infection
- mild asthma
- rash without fever
- broken bone with intact skin and no obvious need to reset the bone
Urgent care can help you with all these conditions and the advantages over an emergency room are time and cost. The average patient time in the ER is near 4 hours and the cost $600. Most patients are able to get in and out of a BestCare Now urgent care in 45 mins and at a fraction of the cost of the ER. Studies show between 71-80% of ER visits were non life-threatening and could be handled at a more appropriate setting like an urgent care facility. BestCare Now is open 7 days a week with extended hours to meet all your needs on your schedule not ours.
If you have questions feel free to give us a call or come by and try us out.